Sep 4, 2008

Casa De Reyes - Old Town San Diego

Where did you guys go for Labor Day weekend?
I ended up spending my holiday with Shamu, manatees, and other lovely marine animals,
Sounds like I was in SeaWorld yep?
But which one? San Diego? Orlando? San Antonio?
Well, I don't think it's a good idea to travel far far away during one of the busiest weekend throughout the year in America,
That crossed out two of the three options,
I was in San Diego!

The whole trip was fun and we had lots of food,
(I think the food part applies to all my trips..)
Before I bore you guys with endless scenic pictures,
Let's talk about food first.

On the second day of my trip,
Me and my friends paid a visit to Old Town San Diego and had a nice late lunch in one of the restaurants in Plaza del Pasado.
The place we dined at called Casa de Reyes.
Look at the line here, it was around 2 p.m....still lots of people (or tourists?),


There's this lady making fresh tortillas in the back of the line-


Basically the tortillas are free of charge,
But of course people pitch in one or two dollars for the food.
You can add salsa and butter inside the tortilla.
I'm not a big fan of tortillas,
But after having one bite, ok two bites, of my friend's tortilla,
My subjective opinion has been proven once more,
Nothing beats food that is freshly made from the kitchen and served immediately.
After waiting in the line and getting a nice tan for nearly 30 minutes,
We finally got our table,
First thing first,
Let's have some ice cold mixed fruit margaritas!-


The alcohol content is really low,
I can barely taste any alcohol in this drink,
Am I complaining? No no no, the drink was very refreshing!
And I noticed there's a well inside the restaurant-


I think by the time we sat at our table, it was nearly 2:30 p.m.
We were having lunch at 2:30 p.m....good lord I had some dessert earlier that day,
Otherwise you'll see an Asian chick fainting in the middle of a Mexican restaurant,
Calling for food.
Did I mention we probably waited for another 30 minutes for our food to come?

Menudo sopa-


"Traditional Mexican style stew with hominy served with oregano, onion, cilantro, lime, and red crushed peppers."
Very very good,
I think I'm in love with any Mexican food that uses lime and cilantro,
The more the merrier.

Shrimp ceviche-


I only had a few small bites,
Nothing special, it simply tastes like cooked shrimps with salsa.

Chicken fajita-


We also ordered beef fajita and shrimp fajita,
By far beef was the best of all,
Chicken was on the dry side.

Enchiladas de mole (with shredded chicken)-


Thanks to Wikipedia,
I don't know how am I suppose to learn bits of knowledge here and there without it,
There's no need for me to explain what mole is, just click here for detailed explanation.
Since there's chocolate in the sauce,
You can imagine that it was a little bit sweet with a hint of chocolate aroma.

Half way through our meal-


Lots of food.
What can I say?
Food makes me happy!
Generally speaking,
The food was average,
Our waitress was great but slow,
The ambience was awesome,
The great outdoor sunlight, live band or mariachi on the side,
It's a place where you can look for some fun but not truly authentic Mexican food.

Overall Rating: 6

Plaza del Pasado - Casa De Reyes
2754 Calhoun Street
San Diego, CA 92110
(619) 220-5040
http://www.plazadelpasado.com/

11 comments:

  1. Everything looks so good.
    Seems like San Diego has lots of great Mexican eatery.
    Maybe because they are closer to Mexico?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Eileen~
    I think so too,
    Maybe next time I should just go all the way down to Mexico to have a truly authentic Mexican food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cindy,

    Another great post, I love that you go explore all these places!

    That soup looks tasty, but it looks like albondigas (meatball soup), not menudo (tripe soup).

    Sorry your food took so long to get to your table. That always bugs me!

    Take care,

    I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Ivan~
    Hey thanks for stopping by,
    I'm pretty sure that soup was menudo since that's the only soup dish from the special menu.
    I've been stuffing myself with tremendous amount of food these days,
    Time for a break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i miss san diego! i lived there for a year and only made it to Old Town ONCE! criminal, i know. the food looks awesome and what a great way to spend your day.

    hope your eyes are feeling ok! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Angry Asian~
    Haha I love your blog title!
    Thank you so much for the blessing,
    My eyes are fine now but I just caught a cold last night..
    So weak...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love San Diego, such a beautiful city. That Mexican restaurant looks fantastic atmosphere and all, i'm sure it's worth it even if the food is only average. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To Zen Chef~
    I love San Diego too,
    Everything's so chill and calm there,
    It's a very laid back city!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, now I'm hungry. Must find fajitas. And a yummy margarita. That one looked awesome! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. To Julie~
    I'm hungry here too..
    Been working for hours...
    Need a lunch break..maybe fajitas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete