Aug 24, 2009

Hot Doug's - Where You Can Find Endless Possibilities in a Hot Dog

Let's yell "Chicago!"

After nearly one week of my visit in Chicago, I'm deeply in love with the windy city,
Well, let me put it this way, I'm deeply in love with it during summer time only,
(Haven't experienced the freezing winter storm there, but I doubt that I'll be ok with it, after all, I'm from a tropical country of Taiwan!)

Chicago is so beautiful, so well-planned, with easy access to everything you need,
Not to mention the food, simply Deeeeeelicious!
Especially Hot Doug's, one of the well known hot dog joints in Chicago,
It was also on the TV show Anthony Bourdain No Reservations,
Enough said, look at how long the line was last Wednesday-


After nearly 20 minutes wait outside (have to wait a little bit longer in the store), we finally got our foot in the door,
The interior is very colorful indeed, yellow, blue, and red are the main colors here-

The menu is displayed on the wall, including daily specials and some regular items-


The owner, Doug, has named some flavor combinations with celebrities' names,
For instance, there is Keira Knightley as fire dog, because she is super hot (per Doug's view).
By the way, Doug was actually at the counter taking every one's orders,
Super cool and friendly guy, this kind of genuine service plus awesome food,
No wonder this place is packed with customers every minutes!

Me and my friend ordered three hot dogs,
Starting from the top:
"Foie Gras and Sauternes Duck Sausage with Truffle Aioli, Foie Gras Mousse and Sel Gris,"
"Blue Cheese Pork Sausage with Sir William Pear Creme Fraiche and Roasted Almonds,"
"The Dog - Chicago-Style Hot Dog with all the trimmings: 'nuff said."


Foie gras hot dog solo shot-


The sausage is no longer the focus for this hot dog,
Instead, the main flavor comes from foie gras mousse, that also applies for the texture,
I had a mouthful of smooth, creamy bite without really feeling the chunkiness from the sausage,
It was also not as fatty/oily as I expected, which is a good, otherwise my palate is gonna be tired after devouring the whole thing.

Pear creme fraiche hot dog solo shot-


My favorite!!!! Seriously, Cindy's rating 9!!! Sooooooo good!
Some people might frown at the idea of putting dessert-like items over a savory hot dog,
But it was DA Bomb!
I would never thought that these ingredients can go so well with one another,
The slight pear aroma complements the stronger taste from blue cheese,
What a perfect harmony in my mouth,
I can eat it everyday!

The Dog solo shot-


I have to try the original Chicago dog since I was visiting the city,
The hot dog itself was juicy and flavorful,
Some characteristics for a true Chicago hot dog are the whole pickle and fresh relish that comes with it,
Also the quality of the meat is unbeatable, supposedly 100% beef,
And no ketchup will be offered,
You can add it yourself later on, but those Chicago hot dog makers will never serve it with ketchup, even per your request.

Too bad I didn't get a chance to try their duck fat fries,
It's only available on Fridays and Saturdays,
Does that mean I'll have to fly to Chicago again one of these days?
I totally don't mind at all!
I wanna go eat there once a week if I can, too bad I'm so far away now,
Maybe one day...one day...they will deliver......(I wish...)

Overall rating: 9!!

Hot Doug's
3324 North California
Chicago, IL 60618
(773) 279 - 9550
http://www.hotdougs.com/default.htm
*Check out their website for more interesting flavor combinations!

8 comments:

  1. it was sooooooooo good hahahahha

    ReplyDelete
  2. To latte&cig~
    Hahahha yes, sooooooooooo good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, wow wow wow.

    Who knew hot dogs could be so hot?! Jeez. Foie gras on hot dogs?? Brilliant!

    I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh man, everyone keeps missing the duck fat frites!

    coulda driven down to Sweets & Savories and gotten an order for $6.

    ReplyDelete
  5. classic chicago dog looks amazing. jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good, my friend said there's a new place just opened, even better than Hot Doug's.
    I wish I will visit Chicago again to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete