Oct 2, 2012

$20 for Endless Steaks, Galbi, Bulgogi, and More! - Gen Korean BBQ and Yakitori Bar

Quick local restaurant review before I'm off to Vegas.

Gen Korean BBQ and Yakitori Bar is an all you can eat Korean barbeque restaurant located in Orange County, around Tustin and Irvine. Unlike Garden Grove or further Los Angeles area, there used to be zero all you can eat Korean barbeque around this neighborhood.


Years ago, finally some Koreans heard us meat mongers' outcry and opened Shik Do Rak in Irvine. This place was packed even during lunch hours. The hype gradually died down overtime...until this other all you can eat Korean barbeque opened up just few exits away - Gen Korean BBQ and Yakitori Bar.

$20 can get you a long way. I mean lonnnngggg way. Here's Gen's food menu -


Beverage menu -


Banchan/small dishes -


Kirin draft beer $14.95 on the menu but we only got charged $13.95 -


I don't remember most of the names for the upcoming array of meat. We basically ordered 90% of the items on the menu with multiple rounds. Is that too much or not enough for 5 men plus 3 women? You figure.


Kobe Woosul/Kobe beef tongue -


More meat -


I wrapped my meat well -


Steak -


Maybe some veggies will dilute a portion of our cholesterol -


Look at that marbled fat -


Underneath is thinly sliced pickled radish called "mu ssam." -


By the way, all these pictures were taken with my iphone 4. The thought of bringing my Canon T1i to a Korean barbeque place and get the grease all over my lens is just too frightening.



Chun Churum bottled soju $10.95 -


 
Daechang/marinated ox large intestine (before) -


Daechang/marinated ox large intestine (after) -

Gom Bae! -


How can you resist it?


Marinated selection -


Some rice cakes to end the meal -


Our bill for 8 people -


Not bad considering the amount of food and beverages we've consumed. Gen is actually pretty good for all you can eat Korean barbeque joint, might be even better compared to some of the famous ones in K-town.

If you are a brisket and mu ssam lover, Shik Do Rak does a better job. However, for all other types of dishes, especially thick cut meat, Gen is definitely the place to go.

Gen Korean BBQ and Yakitori Bar
13741 Newport Ave
Tustin, CA 92780
(714) 505-1800


















-Courtesy of Google Maps-

*Hours: 11:30 a.m. - 12 a.m.
*Gen do not take reservations, the wait is usually a minimum of one hour during dinner rush hours.

Cindy's Rating: 8 (this can be the best $20 you've ever spent!)

4 comments:

  1. What I like the most about this blog is that it starts simply with menu and gradually introduces so many amazing different dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To BBQ catering~
    Thank you so much, it really means a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a marvelous time Cindy! I agree with the above comment - the blog is excellently and enticingly designed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Viviane Bauquet Farre~
    Thank you so much! I'm still trying to improve my blog, let me know if you have any ideas so I can make it better, I wanna make my readers happy!

    ReplyDelete