Jan 14, 2013

Pouteria Caimito/Abiu Tasting

Pouteria caimito, caimito, or simply abiu. In Taiwan, this jelly-liked treat is called "the golden fruit."


Again, I found this interesting thing from a street vendor close to the mountain/scenic area in Taiwan (I also found an interesting Ta Gu vegetable the other day from one of these vendors).


The street vendor kindly cut a big chunk of the fruit for me to taste before making a purchase. This imported fruit was originally from South America and introduced to Taiwan around 12 years ago.


The texture is similar to jelly. As I cut the fruit into wedges, the shape and look reminded me of orange peel jellos.

Not much seeds inside abiu, the most about 2 large black seeds in the center -


I ate the fruit just like how I always eat the kiwis. Simply take a spoon and scrape against the inner skin to scoop out the meaty part. 
 
The flavor is similar to feijoa or sugar apple. The price tag? A whopping $2 US per abiu, I can buy a pork chop bento with that amount of money here in Taiwan!


I'm still a newbie to this exotic flavor, and its price surely does scare me away. However, if trying the fruit few more times, it's possible that'll grow to like abiu one day (but the price needs to go down first).

3 comments:

  1. Interesting fruit! Never seen or tried when I was in Taiwan a couple of years back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting fruit! Never seen or tried when I was in Taiwan a couple of years back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Tigerfish~
    If you don't mind me asking, were you in Taiwan for work or?

    ReplyDelete